Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Cartoon Books



Recently I realized that I have never read a comic book in my life but I have read cartoon books. Thus I decided to look upon the two cartoon books that I have read. (Just a heads up I read both of these books for school yet they were enjoyable)

Description Provided by Goodreads: A tour-de-force by rising indy comics star Gene Yang, American Born Chinese tells the story of three apparently unrelated characters: Jin Wang, who moves to a new neighborhood with his family only to discover that he’s the only Chinese-American student at his new school; the powerful Monkey King, subject of one of the oldest and greatest Chinese fables; and Chin-Kee, a personification of the ultimate negative Chinese stereotype, who is ruining his cousin Danny’s life with his yearly visits. Their lives and stories come together with an unexpected twist in this action-packed modern fable. American Born Chinese is an amazing ride, all the way up to the astonishing climax.


I had to read this book for school and I read it in an hour to an hour and a half. It was a really easy read but it was interesting too. I especially loved the ending because it just all came together that makes you want to flip back to the stories and to see if there were any clues to the ending. Mr. Yang actually came to talk to us at my school and he was very fun and great spirited. He told us about the process of creating a cartoon but and his inspiration for writing the book. Overall this was a book that I didn't dread reading for school because it was fun, quick, and well thought out.



Description Provided by Goodreads: If you think a negative charge is something that shows up on your credit card bill -- if you imagine that Ohm's Law dictates how long to meditate -- if you believe that Newtonian mechanics will fix your car -- you need The Cartoon Guide to Physics to set you straight. You don't have to be a scientist to grasp these and many other complex ideas, because The Cartoon Guide to Physics explains them all: velocity, acceleration, explosions, electricity and magnetism, circuits -- even a taste of relativity theory -- and much more, in simple, clear, and, yes, funny illustrations. Physics will never be the same!

When I first learned that I had to read TWO books for honors physics I was completely overwhelmed until I saw that the second book was The Cartoon Guide to Physics. The book was really easy to follow along with and the concepts were broken down and multiple examples were given. I recommend this book for physic fanatics out there, those who just want to know the basic concept of physics, or those who will take physics.

No comments:

Post a Comment