Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Wanted Wednesday

Welcome to the first official WANTED WEDNESDAY!!



The Wanted is a British based band who even have their own show on E! called The Wanted Life. They are also my FAVORITE band and they are not like One Direction at all! Now you may be wondering what a ridiculously talented and gorgeous group of guys has to do with books. Well, haven't you ever had a moment when you were reading a book and thought "OMG. I can just imagine this scene with a particular song"? I sure have, so for today I'll be sharing some scenes from my favorite books and the songs that I believe would go perfect with these scenes.

The song I imagine playing while reading the following scene is #1 Night by Cobra Starship. If you're not familiar with it, click on the link to give it a listen then read the scene. #1 Night by Cobra Starship.


"May I have this dance?" Jev asked with a sympathetic tug of his mouth.
"Shouldn't we be finding a way out of here? Devising a couple more backup plans?"
He clasped my right hand, drawing me against him in a slow dance that was at odds with the racing music. As if reading my mind, he said, "They'll stop starting soon. They're too busy competing for the most extreme dance move of the night. Try to relax. Sometimes the best offense is a good defense."
My heart rate picked up then, and not because I knew Hank’s men had to be close by. Dancing this way with Jev tore down any chance I had at holding my feelings in check. His arms were strong, his body warm. He wasn’t wearing cologne, but there was an intriguing hint of fresh-cut grass and rainwater when he pulled me close. And those eyes. Deep, mysterious, unfathomable. Despite everything, I wanted to lean into him and…just let go.
            “Better,” he murmured into my ear.
            Before I could respond, he spun me out. I’d never danced like this before, and Jev’s skill at it surprised me. Street dancing I might have guessed, but not this. The away he danced reminded me of another time and place. He was confidant and elegant…smooth and sexy.
            “Do you think they’re going to buy that a guy in tacky leather chaps dances like this?” I scoffed when he twirled me back into his embrace.
            “Keep it up, and I’ll put you in the chaps.” He didn’t smile, but I sensed an undercurrent of amusement. Glad one of us found something about the situation remotely funny.
            “How do the trances work? Like a glamour?”
            “It’s more complicated than that, but same end result.”
            “Could you teach me?”
            “If I taught you everything I know, we’d need a considerable amount of time alone together.”
            Unsure if he was suggesting anything, I said, “I’m sure we could keep it…professional.”
            “Speak for yourself,” he said in that same steady tone that made it hard to guess his intentions.
...
            Still uncertain of his motive, I cleared by throat. Two could play this game. “Running from bad guys together is your idea of playing getting-to-know-you?”
            “No. This is.”
            He dipped my body backward, drawing me up in a slow arc until he raised me flush against him. In his arms, my joints loosened, my defensed melting as he led me through the sultry steps. His muscles flexed under his clothes, holding me, leading me. Never letting me stray far.
            My knees felt rubbery, but not from dancing. My breathing came faster, and I knew I was treading down a slippery slope. Being this close to Jev… -Finale (Pg.224-225&227)

I think that the song, #1 Night, goes perfectly with this scene because I can just picture a dance/club song like this one playing while Nora and Jev dance formally. Also, this song talks (sings?) about living on the edge, living "like we got one life" and in the scene Nora is definitely living her life dangerously by dancing with Jev, especially near the end of the scene. Plus the song kind of describes the club in which Jev and Nora are at while trying to hide. This song is also perfect for the scene because some of the emotions and dance moves from the song are the same as those occurring between Jev and Nora, such as falling in love.

The song I imagine playing while reading the following scene is Don't Want to Miss a Thing by Aerosmith. If you've never heard this song click on the following link to give it a listen to you can have it playing in your head while reading the scene from Sweet Peril. I Don't Want To Miss A Thing.

           He caught my face in his hands and whispered, "Spend the night with me.”

            A warm tremor rippled down my body. All my resolve from two hours ago wavered. He waited for my response.
            “Kai…we shouldn’t.” Even as I said it, my mind devised arguments otherwise. The Dukes and whisperers would all be at their summit meeting tonight, and terrorizing Vegas for the next day. But when it came to Kaidan and me alone together, there were other things to worry about besides demons.
“I’m tired of living like I’m not alive.” He dropped his 
hands from my face to grip my shoulders. “I’m bloody sick to death of it. I want one night to be alive. With you.” He closed his eyes and leaned his forehead on mine. “Please, Anna. One last night and we’ll go back to being safe again. I need this. I need you.”
...
I had no plans for sleep that night, because that meant I couldn’t be consciously touching him and kissing him and soaking in every second of this time with him. -Sweet Peril (Pg. 247&276)

While reading this scene the song, I Don't Want To Miss A Thing, just popped into my head. The reason I believe this song fits with the scene between Kaidan and Anna is because both the scene and the song express the same sentiment of not wanting to leave the person whom you love. Plus the song is so tender and sweet just like Kaidan and Anna's relationship is. I believe the song captures the essence of the scene between Kai and Anna, which is that they know that their time together is limited and they want to spend all the time they can conscience so that they can remember these moments in the long month which they won't be able to communicate with each other. If you didn't already I suggest you play the song, not to loudly, while reading the scene and you'll get the full effect.
The song I imagine while reading the following scene is I Found You by The Wanted. If you haven't heard it then wait are you waiting for?!?! CLICK THE LINK and listen to it. (CAUTION: YOU MIGHT HAVE MAJOR FANGIRL MOMENTS AND ENDUP STALKING THE WANTED) I Found You by The Wanted

              “Well, I’m not like them.” I rose and took a step back, trying to ignore the feelings of hurt and betrayal, the stupid angry tears pressing at the corners of my eyes. “I’m not a Winter faery – I’m human, with human feelings and emotions. And if you want me to apologize for that, you can forget it. I can’t just shut off my feelings like you can. Though the next time you’re about to get eaten or killed, I guess I won’t bother saving your life.” 
                I whirled to stalk away in a hug, but Ash rose with blinding speed and gripped my upper arms. I stiffened, locking my knees and keeping my back straight, but struggling with him would have been useless. Even wounded and bleeding as he was, he was much stronger than me.
               “I’m not ungrateful,” he murmured against my ear, making my stomach flutter despite itself. “I just want you to understand. The Winter Court preys on the weak. It’s their nature. They will try to tear you apart, physically and emotionally, and I won’t always be there to protect you.”
          I shivered, anger meting away as my own doubts and fears came rushing back. Ash sighed, and I felt his forehead touch the back of my hair, his breath fanning my neck. “I don’t want to do this,” he admitted in a low, anguished voice. “I don’t want to see what they’ll try to do to you. A Summer faery in the Winter Court doesn’t stand much of a chance. But I vowed that I would bring you back, and I’m bound to that promise. He raised his head, squeezing my shoulders in an almost painful grip as his voice dropped a few octaves, turning grim and cold. “So, you have to be stronger than they are. You can’t let down your guard, no matter what. They will lead you on, with games and pretty words, and they will take pleasure in your misery. Don’t let them get to you. And don’t trust anyone.” He paused, and his voice went even lower. “Not even me.”
           “I’ll always trust you,” I whispered without thinking, and his hands tightened, turning me to face him almost savagely.
           “No,” he said, narrowing his eyes. “You won’t. I’m your enemy, Meghan. Never forget that. If Mab tells me to kill you in front of the entire court, it’s my duty to obey. If she orders Rowan or Sage to carve you up slowly, making sure you suffer every second of it, I’m expected to stand there and let them do it. Do you understand? My feelings for you don’t matter in the Winter Court. Summer and Winter will always be on opposite sides, and nothing will change that.”
             I new I should be afraid of him. He was an Unseelie prince after all, and had basically admitted he would kill me if Mab ordered him to. But he also admitted to having feelings for me – feelings that didn’t matter, true, but it still made my stomach squirm when I heard it. And maybe I was being naïve, but I couldn’t believe Ash would willingly hurt me, even in the Winter Court. Not with the way he was looking at me now, his silver eyes conflicted and angry.
             He stared at me a moment longer, then sighted. “ You didn’t hear a word I said, did you?” he murmured, closing his eyes.
            “I’m not afraid,” I told him, which was a lie; I was terrified of Mab and the Unseelie Court that waited at the end of this journey. But is Ash was there, I would be all right.
           “You are infuriatingly stubborn,” Ash muttered, raking a hand through his hair. “I don’t know how I’m going to protect you when you have no concept of self-preservation."
            I stepped close to him, placing a hand on his chest, feeling his heart beat under his shirt, “I trust you,” I said, rising up so our faces were inches apart, trailing my fingers down his stomach. “I know you’ll find a way.”
          His breath hitched, and he regarded me hungrily. “You’re playing with fire, you know that?”
         “That’s weird, considering you’re an ice prin–“ I didn’t get any further, as Ash leaned in and kissed me. I looped my arms around his neck and his snaked around my waist, and for a few moments, the cold couldn’t touch me. –The Iron Legends (Pg. 52-54)

I think that this song goes with the scene between Ash and Meghan because the lyrics to this song go perfectly with the emotions being emitted between them in this scene. For example at one point in the song it says, "I was lost 'till I found you". I think this goes perfectly with Ash and Meghan's relationship because Ash was lost, cold hearted, and closed off emotionally, as a Winter faery should be. That is until he find Meghan and she makes him face his feelings for her and they fall in love. Which brings me to my next point of why this song is perfect for this scene which is the other song lyrics where it states, "We're all looking for love tonight. Sometimes we can't see it, we're all blinded by the light..." This describes Ash to a T because he is head over heels in love with Meghan yet he doesn't see it or admit it.

THE WANTED'S NEW SONG:


No comments:

Post a Comment